About Me

My photo
I grew up in Franklin, Kentucky. I moved to Virginia Beach in 2003 and in 2004 I met the gang at Final Kick. Final Kick quickly became my home away from home. I ran my first marathon in 2005 (Shamrock Marathon). It was one of the most painful and amazing experiences of my life. I ran a 3:07 and I crossed the finish line with bloody heels (the right socks are so important). I couldn't wait to run another marathon and I choose The Richmond Marathon. I loved this race and it's still one of my favorites. Shamrock 2006 was my breakout race. I won it in a time of 2:45:40 and I was ecstatic. I also qualified for the trials with this race. Over the next couple of years I graduated from Nursing school and then eventually received my Master's in Exercise Science. In 2010 I raced the Chicago Marathon in a time of 2:45:26 and again qualified for the 2012 Olympic Trials. This was an amazing day for me. And I can't wait to race in Houston 2012
"Running to him was real, the way he did it the realest thing he knew. It was all joy and woe, hard as diamond; it made him weary beyond comprehension. But it also made him free." Once a Runner

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Marathon Recovery

My marathon recovery has been going well. I've been doing my recovery the Bill Bernard way which involves continuing running after a marathon to recover. In the past I've taken time off from running and slowly recovered but Bill thinks I'll recover better if I continue running. I have to admit I'm tired and I even ran a 5k on Saturday at a pretty good effort. Right now I'm actually always tired. I sleep a lot and they are really deep sleeps. I was so tired the other night I woke up confused about where I was, actually kind of scary. But my legs do feel good tho.
I need to focus more on better nutrition. Any suggestions?

3 comments:

  1. Renee,

    My name is Dennis and I am a new runner to the area who moved down here in April of this year. I was a former runner but took off for several years and got drastically out of shape. My buddy talked me into running the ERR 10k earlier this year and although my time was horrible, I have become hooked. Since then, I have completed several more 5k's and the R&R half. Just recently I went 17:42 in a 5k. Long story short, I have been following your races (congrats on Chicago) and frequently see you out on the trails training. I am really looking to drop my times and am training for OBX currently. I was just curious as to what your weekly training log looks like and some other things you are doing that has helped you drop your times. Now that my times are getting better, I would like to either train with or get training tips from local competitive runners like yourself.
    Any advice or help would be appreciated.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Denise,
    Thanks and Wow, congrats on the 17:42. That's awesome. I probably train 70ish miles a week depending on whats going on. I also lift weights and stuff. I really think the biggest difference is my Coach, Bill Bernard. He is really great with me and he really focuses on his runners. If you ever want to get together to run just hit me up and let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. I spoke with Jerry from J&A racing yesterday regarding a training plan and possibly some coaching. Is Bill Bernard part of Jerry's group and does he coach other runners besides you? Do you train mostly solo or with others? I have been training with people from Hampton Roads Runners but feel that I need to start training with more advanced runners in order to progress. Essentially, I just need to start working with people who know what they are doing and know how to train properly while minimizing injury. I would like to start more marathon, half-marathon based training and am needing to build my base and endurance the correct way. I appreciate your advice and hope that your training is going well.
    R/
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete

Shamrock Week

Shamrock Week

The Finish Line

The Finish Line

Sharmock Marathon

Sharmock Marathon

Breakfast with Dai and Mike D

Breakfast with Dai and Mike D
Life is Good

Double Chocolate Banana ice cream

Double Chocolate Banana ice cream
YUM

RnR

RnR

Constantina Dita

Constantina Dita

Italian Mother

Italian Mother