About Me

My photo
I grew up in Franklin, Kentucky. I moved to Virginia Beach in 2003 and in 2004 I met the gang at Final Kick. Final Kick quickly became my home away from home. I ran my first marathon in 2005 (Shamrock Marathon). It was one of the most painful and amazing experiences of my life. I ran a 3:07 and I crossed the finish line with bloody heels (the right socks are so important). I couldn't wait to run another marathon and I choose The Richmond Marathon. I loved this race and it's still one of my favorites. Shamrock 2006 was my breakout race. I won it in a time of 2:45:40 and I was ecstatic. I also qualified for the trials with this race. Over the next couple of years I graduated from Nursing school and then eventually received my Master's in Exercise Science. In 2010 I raced the Chicago Marathon in a time of 2:45:26 and again qualified for the 2012 Olympic Trials. This was an amazing day for me. And I can't wait to race in Houston 2012
"Running to him was real, the way he did it the realest thing he knew. It was all joy and woe, hard as diamond; it made him weary beyond comprehension. But it also made him free." Once a Runner

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Don't work too hard..........It might kill you

A study released on April 5, 2011 says that if you work more than 11 hours a day it could kill you.
Basically those who work more than 11 hours a day have a higher risk for heart disease and are more prone to heart attacks. I've attached a link to the article.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/05/work-long-hours-heart-disease_n_844885.html

I've always thought that we (most Americans) work too hard and don't take care of themselves. I see these people everyday at work. (I also work with these people -nurses and doctor tend to work way 10-12 hours a day). People who depend on medications way too much and who have never taken care of themselves. I've always lived my life putting my health first and taking care of my body both through exercise and nutrition. I don't think it takes a research article and years of studying a group of people to realize that working yourself to hard is literally working yourself to death but I am glad to see the research.
I've always wondered why doctors and nurses (people who know what inactivity) tend to be so unhealthy and I've realized that it's b/c of the long working hours and the physical difficulty of the job)
Just goes to show I'm right in living my life the way I've chosen to live. We have to realize that we need to take care of ourselves in order to not be a burden on the healthcare system ortherwise.............who knows where healthcare will be by the time we're (I'm) old.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shamrock Week

Shamrock Week

The Finish Line

The Finish Line

Sharmock Marathon

Sharmock Marathon

Breakfast with Dai and Mike D

Breakfast with Dai and Mike D
Life is Good

Double Chocolate Banana ice cream

Double Chocolate Banana ice cream
YUM

RnR

RnR

Constantina Dita

Constantina Dita

Italian Mother

Italian Mother