About Me

My photo
I grew up in Franklin, Kentucky. I moved to Virginia Beach in 2003 and in 2004 I met the gang at Final Kick. Final Kick quickly became my home away from home. I ran my first marathon in 2005 (Shamrock Marathon). It was one of the most painful and amazing experiences of my life. I ran a 3:07 and I crossed the finish line with bloody heels (the right socks are so important). I couldn't wait to run another marathon and I choose The Richmond Marathon. I loved this race and it's still one of my favorites. Shamrock 2006 was my breakout race. I won it in a time of 2:45:40 and I was ecstatic. I also qualified for the trials with this race. Over the next couple of years I graduated from Nursing school and then eventually received my Master's in Exercise Science. In 2010 I raced the Chicago Marathon in a time of 2:45:26 and again qualified for the 2012 Olympic Trials. This was an amazing day for me. And I can't wait to race in Houston 2012
"Running to him was real, the way he did it the realest thing he knew. It was all joy and woe, hard as diamond; it made him weary beyond comprehension. But it also made him free." Once a Runner

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

I went for a run today...here's what happened

So today was all about being proactive and taking care of business. I had a physical therapy appointment with Atlantic Physical Therapy. They have always been wonderful to me and really understand how important running is to me. Lucas (my PT) was completely supportive and positive. He discussed lots of options and how treatment plan. Basically we need to strengthen the entire leg so it's going to require work and commitment on my part. Not a problem.
And then there is the tape option. He taped my knee today and there was some improvement in my pain for my knee. Now I'm not sure if it was the time off or the tape...I'm hoping it was the tape so I can keep using it and keep running.
I went for an easy 4 mile run today. 8 minute miles is slow for me but I was happy to be out there. But since most of you know me pretty well, what I also love about running is being competitive and fast. Otherwise, and I hate to say it but I don't feel the same love.
Also, I'm getting a second opinion tomorrow from a Pain Management and Rehab Sports Medicine doctor tomorrow. I don't expect a miracle but I have a hard time believing that in this day and age when people can run with bionic legs and can live off of a fake heart that there isn't more options out there.
Anyway that's my little update on whats going on physically.
Otherwise, I'm very frustrated with my little ability to run and be as active as I want to be. If I have one more person act surprise that I have osteoarthritis and say ("at your age...oh my goodness) I might just go off. I'm trying to hard to be patient but it's not what I'm known for.
I do appreciate all the positive thoughts that you guys have sent my way. I appreciate and love you guys a ton.
Now I'm off to ride the damn trainer and take my glucosamine and Naproxen. haha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shamrock Week

Shamrock Week

The Finish Line

The Finish Line

Sharmock Marathon

Sharmock Marathon

Breakfast with Dai and Mike D

Breakfast with Dai and Mike D
Life is Good

Double Chocolate Banana ice cream

Double Chocolate Banana ice cream
YUM

RnR

RnR

Constantina Dita

Constantina Dita

Italian Mother

Italian Mother