About Me

My photo
I grew up in Franklin, Kentucky. I moved to Virginia Beach in 2003 and in 2004 I met the gang at Final Kick. Final Kick quickly became my home away from home. I ran my first marathon in 2005 (Shamrock Marathon). It was one of the most painful and amazing experiences of my life. I ran a 3:07 and I crossed the finish line with bloody heels (the right socks are so important). I couldn't wait to run another marathon and I choose The Richmond Marathon. I loved this race and it's still one of my favorites. Shamrock 2006 was my breakout race. I won it in a time of 2:45:40 and I was ecstatic. I also qualified for the trials with this race. Over the next couple of years I graduated from Nursing school and then eventually received my Master's in Exercise Science. In 2010 I raced the Chicago Marathon in a time of 2:45:26 and again qualified for the 2012 Olympic Trials. This was an amazing day for me. And I can't wait to race in Houston 2012
"Running to him was real, the way he did it the realest thing he knew. It was all joy and woe, hard as diamond; it made him weary beyond comprehension. But it also made him free." Once a Runner

Sunday, September 5, 2010

RnR update

Okay so the race is over. The times are in the book and a personal record was achieved.
The race was truly wonderful today. I had an amazing time. From the first moment of standing on the starting line with the Great Constantina Dita our 2008 Olympic Marathon Gold Medalist from the Beijing Olympics to the finish line and seeing my wonderful friends David (Balance Therapeutic Massage) and Kathy (my Italian mother) and of course the amazing Andy and Coach Bill.
I started the race feeling very good and relaxed. Mile 1 was no problem with a smooth 6 minute pace. Realizing I felt great I picked up the pace to catch up with the next group. Then I totally just settled in and ran as hard as I could. I never looked at my watch. I remember seeing the 10mile time which was 59:00 minutes and all I could think was sweet I'm on target. The finish was amazing and I wish I had ran harder but that's easier said than done b/c at the time I felt I was running as hard as I could.
I've had people already ask me what my plan was or what was my strategy. Literally, it was to trust my training and my coach. Also, I planned on finding someone to run with and just sticking to her as long as possible. Basically, run hard.
So the race is over with. I'm going to enjoy this night and tomorrow it is back to business as usual. I have a massage at Balance tomorrow and an easy run. And this I will be off to run the Chicago Half Marathon on Sunday the 12th.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shamrock Week

Shamrock Week

The Finish Line

The Finish Line

Sharmock Marathon

Sharmock Marathon

Breakfast with Dai and Mike D

Breakfast with Dai and Mike D
Life is Good

Double Chocolate Banana ice cream

Double Chocolate Banana ice cream
YUM

RnR

RnR

Constantina Dita

Constantina Dita

Italian Mother

Italian Mother