About Me

My photo
I grew up in Franklin, Kentucky. I moved to Virginia Beach in 2003 and in 2004 I met the gang at Final Kick. Final Kick quickly became my home away from home. I ran my first marathon in 2005 (Shamrock Marathon). It was one of the most painful and amazing experiences of my life. I ran a 3:07 and I crossed the finish line with bloody heels (the right socks are so important). I couldn't wait to run another marathon and I choose The Richmond Marathon. I loved this race and it's still one of my favorites. Shamrock 2006 was my breakout race. I won it in a time of 2:45:40 and I was ecstatic. I also qualified for the trials with this race. Over the next couple of years I graduated from Nursing school and then eventually received my Master's in Exercise Science. In 2010 I raced the Chicago Marathon in a time of 2:45:26 and again qualified for the 2012 Olympic Trials. This was an amazing day for me. And I can't wait to race in Houston 2012
"Running to him was real, the way he did it the realest thing he knew. It was all joy and woe, hard as diamond; it made him weary beyond comprehension. But it also made him free." Once a Runner

Saturday, March 26, 2011

It's not how many times you fall off the horse but how many times you get back on.
Even though I haven't spoken to many people about last Sunday it's obvious I didn't have a great race and I didn't finish it. It's hard for me to discuss these things b/c I get emotional and I get pretty upset with myself. The day wasn't my day. I went out faster than what was smart, my left shoe came untied (this is where I began to lose focus mentally), I threw up green Gatorade at mile 13.....I hung in for a while but after a while I knew that the day wasn't mine.
I didn't want to lose my training. So I decided to run the National Marathon up in DC. After talking with Coach I knew that I had to work on my mental thinking and adjust my mental talk. Think positive. Focus on taking one step after another.
The race was a little different. The marathon started with the half marathoners so it was a little interesting at first. It didn't take very long before I knew who was my competition. She was a Russian girl.
The first half of the race was very hilly. Long steep uphills and long sharp downhills. The leader and I kept pace beside each other for the first half of the race (until about mile 18). At this time the fatigue starting setting into my legs and I began to fall off the pace a bit. It was actually a conscious decision b/c I really wanted to finish feeling strong. The course evened out until mile 23 or 24 when we entered a residential area and it started going back into steep hills.
Overall, it was a good race. I was pleased with the finish. The most important part to me was being strong and steady and finishing well. I was a little upset or maybe I should say confused b/c my training and been going so well and I really thought that I had a PR in me.
I do have changes I want to make to my training program that I think will improve my race in a couple of months.

6 comments:

  1. Renee, thanks for finally talking to us. I'm a Hampton Roads runner and fan of yours as I watched you start kicking butt about 8 yrs ago at the Tune Up Series (for Shamrock) races at Fort Story. I could tell by the week of no blog posts that you we're "dealing with it".

    Relax. You're an incredible athlete. But you also put tremendous pressure on yourself and that can harm you. Read about Uta Pippig if you have not already.

    I'm surprised you have not ventured into triathlons given your fitness and determination (or maybe you have?). I was a run, run, run person for too long and the injuries became insurmountable at about age 45. I know you feel good and strong now but the pounding will bite you in a few years unless you balance with other motion. Glad to see you're doing yoga and I hope that helps. Anyway - do you own a road bike? Have you ever done a tri, or du? Again, thanks for writing. I love reading your blog. You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, listen to Sean. Go ride your bike

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sean, thanks for the pep talk.
    I do have a road bike but I've never ventured into triathlons. I do have a road bike but I'm not a strong swimmer. I actually freak out in the open water swimming (even with a wetsuit). It's been quite a few years since I've tried (like 4 years I think). I do love swimming in the pool and it's never far from my mind though. Maybe it will happen one day. Although it will be done in secret training and no one will know I'm there until the end. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to know how things went. What a great way to get back on the horse by hitting the DC race and doing so well. Cheers to you Ms. Runnergirl!

    David (the Balance David:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was worried when I didn't see your name on the Shamrock results and then no posts for days. Messaged Steve S. and he gave me a quick update. Running is a fickle thing and I am glad you bounced back and smacked the National race in the face. There are several mini/sprint tri-aths I looked into where the swimming part is done in the pool....might be an option one day. Glad to have you back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Rich. I put my heart and soul into running. It's always heartbreaking when I fail to live up to my expectations. It felt good to come back and mentally get back on the horse.

    ReplyDelete

Shamrock Week

Shamrock Week

The Finish Line

The Finish Line

Sharmock Marathon

Sharmock Marathon

Breakfast with Dai and Mike D

Breakfast with Dai and Mike D
Life is Good

Double Chocolate Banana ice cream

Double Chocolate Banana ice cream
YUM

RnR

RnR

Constantina Dita

Constantina Dita

Italian Mother

Italian Mother