About Me

My photo
I grew up in Franklin, Kentucky. I moved to Virginia Beach in 2003 and in 2004 I met the gang at Final Kick. Final Kick quickly became my home away from home. I ran my first marathon in 2005 (Shamrock Marathon). It was one of the most painful and amazing experiences of my life. I ran a 3:07 and I crossed the finish line with bloody heels (the right socks are so important). I couldn't wait to run another marathon and I choose The Richmond Marathon. I loved this race and it's still one of my favorites. Shamrock 2006 was my breakout race. I won it in a time of 2:45:40 and I was ecstatic. I also qualified for the trials with this race. Over the next couple of years I graduated from Nursing school and then eventually received my Master's in Exercise Science. In 2010 I raced the Chicago Marathon in a time of 2:45:26 and again qualified for the 2012 Olympic Trials. This was an amazing day for me. And I can't wait to race in Houston 2012
"Running to him was real, the way he did it the realest thing he knew. It was all joy and woe, hard as diamond; it made him weary beyond comprehension. But it also made him free." Once a Runner

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Frosty Bite 15K

I got up this morning at 0515 and headed up to Richmond VA to run the Frosty Bite 15K. I was pretty excited b/c I hadn't raced in Richmond since the Richmond Marathon in 2005. The morning was beautiful but without a doubt the coldest race morning I've ever encountered. The race has an usual start. Everyone gets on the starting line and about 150 meters ahead is a stop light. When the light turns red that's the Go signal. After the first mile I had a girl come up beside me, that's pretty much where she stayed until the very end. At the end of the race, she took the initiative and out kicked me at the end. Looking back, I just want to kick myself.
Why wasn't I more aggressive? (There's that thin line b/w aggressive and running yourself into the ground

Could I have done better?

Am I weak? (Mentally, sometimes I fight with myself)

Damnit, I can't believe I let her get me in the end!! (What am I? A wimp?)

I ended up with a 56:20 (she out kicked me by 1 second) so averaged 6:03 pace not bad considering I felt I could have held that pace for a while and the course was very hilly. Also, not bad considering 1 week ago today I was struck with nausea/vomiting and on a clear liquid diet.

I had to admit.............. I hated taking 2nd place. I felt I let it go at the very end.

A weaker person might hang her head and just say "obviously this is the pace I was meant to run. " Not me, I want more and it only fuels my hunger and my need for speed.
BTW,
I strongly recommend this race. It was fun and it was small.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shamrock Week

Shamrock Week

The Finish Line

The Finish Line

Sharmock Marathon

Sharmock Marathon

Breakfast with Dai and Mike D

Breakfast with Dai and Mike D
Life is Good

Double Chocolate Banana ice cream

Double Chocolate Banana ice cream
YUM

RnR

RnR

Constantina Dita

Constantina Dita

Italian Mother

Italian Mother