About Me

My photo
I grew up in Franklin, Kentucky. I moved to Virginia Beach in 2003 and in 2004 I met the gang at Final Kick. Final Kick quickly became my home away from home. I ran my first marathon in 2005 (Shamrock Marathon). It was one of the most painful and amazing experiences of my life. I ran a 3:07 and I crossed the finish line with bloody heels (the right socks are so important). I couldn't wait to run another marathon and I choose The Richmond Marathon. I loved this race and it's still one of my favorites. Shamrock 2006 was my breakout race. I won it in a time of 2:45:40 and I was ecstatic. I also qualified for the trials with this race. Over the next couple of years I graduated from Nursing school and then eventually received my Master's in Exercise Science. In 2010 I raced the Chicago Marathon in a time of 2:45:26 and again qualified for the 2012 Olympic Trials. This was an amazing day for me. And I can't wait to race in Houston 2012
"Running to him was real, the way he did it the realest thing he knew. It was all joy and woe, hard as diamond; it made him weary beyond comprehension. But it also made him free." Once a Runner

Sunday, January 30, 2011

One helluve weekend, I'm glad its almost over

This weekend was one of the busiest weekends I've ever had. I'm exhausted. Combining my running with having house guests............I'm ready for the weekend to be over. LOL. On Friday, I ran an indoor 5k track meet at CNU. My time posted was 17:53. Not my best, and I thought it would be faster on an indoor track meet...........I think it was hard for me to get into the right groove. Several factors played into it....running alone, passing on the corners ( I hate doing this but it was inevitable) and I'm sure there were other factors. I did my best and I can live with that. The hardest part of indoor track is the instant dry mouth that occurs and then for me............I spend the next few days sneezing my head off and watery eyes. I don't know why this occurs but I was prepared for it. Tissues, halls and dayquil.
Then I had to go see a play at the Wells Theater. It was so much fun but I didn't get to bed until midnight and I had to be up early for the Distance Series 25k. (FYI...the musical was called Sckbstd {Sick Bastard} and it was comical and sweet)
I knew that I wanted to run 20 miles on Saturday so I had to stick to my guns and get up and run. Saturday at 0715 I was dragging. I parked at 64th street and ran into the park to the registration table for bib/chip pickup. I was a good 10 minutes late if not more b/c I was dragging but as soon as I started I got right into the groove. It was kind of fun starting a little late b/c I did spend the entire time trying to chase some people but it would have been nice to run with Steve Speirs. I ended up with a 1:40:10. I was happy with it b/c I knew I had ran a track meet about 12 hours ago and I do think I was a little tired. Not completely recovered. Anyway. I got in my entire 20 mile run and I felt great about it.
As always I love the support that everyone gave me yesterday while I was running. It really helps and it keeps me going. So I'm very appreciative. People were very funny, making joking comments about if I would catch them and how many times I passed them. I love hanging out with other people on the trails.
Also, watching coach almost run over another runner yesterday was priceless. I felt bad for the poor guy but poor coach didn't even see him and I don't think the runner was anticipating coach (the guy on the bike) turning his bike around. Hilarious.
Then I had to plan a dinner party for a small group of people (8). Once again it was beyond fun but I woke up this morning with a pounding headache and a slightly swollen knee. Body's message to me, you are taking a freaking break today, regardless what you think you are NOT a machine.
Non runners like to judge those of us who are faithful runners. But there's a reason I go to bed early and get lots of hours of sleep. Dear God I need it. With that being said. I'm going to finish icing my knee and go take a nap.

3 comments:

  1. Busy weekend indeed. You looked strong coming back from the turn-around, Marie P. and I gave you a shout out as you blew by us and you had game face on. Rest up, sounds like you deserved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Don't remember if I responded to your shout out. If I didn't, I still totally appreciated it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Shamrock Week

Shamrock Week

The Finish Line

The Finish Line

Sharmock Marathon

Sharmock Marathon

Breakfast with Dai and Mike D

Breakfast with Dai and Mike D
Life is Good

Double Chocolate Banana ice cream

Double Chocolate Banana ice cream
YUM

RnR

RnR

Constantina Dita

Constantina Dita

Italian Mother

Italian Mother