About Me

My photo
I grew up in Franklin, Kentucky. I moved to Virginia Beach in 2003 and in 2004 I met the gang at Final Kick. Final Kick quickly became my home away from home. I ran my first marathon in 2005 (Shamrock Marathon). It was one of the most painful and amazing experiences of my life. I ran a 3:07 and I crossed the finish line with bloody heels (the right socks are so important). I couldn't wait to run another marathon and I choose The Richmond Marathon. I loved this race and it's still one of my favorites. Shamrock 2006 was my breakout race. I won it in a time of 2:45:40 and I was ecstatic. I also qualified for the trials with this race. Over the next couple of years I graduated from Nursing school and then eventually received my Master's in Exercise Science. In 2010 I raced the Chicago Marathon in a time of 2:45:26 and again qualified for the 2012 Olympic Trials. This was an amazing day for me. And I can't wait to race in Houston 2012
"Running to him was real, the way he did it the realest thing he knew. It was all joy and woe, hard as diamond; it made him weary beyond comprehension. But it also made him free." Once a Runner

Thursday, January 20, 2011

I am a Runner

This morning I had a thought...I am a runner. Many of you may be thinking, um duh we all know that but just let me explain and I think you might understand. As far back as I can remember I've been running. Running is some of my earliest memories. I remember running in 1st grade during the field events. Or running up and down my road............I grew up on a farm and it was a long gravel road..........after school playing or during the summer. In 5th grade I challenged a boy I liked to a race. I kicked his butt and then he didn't like me anymore. The true fun began when I met a man named Coach Leathers. I didn't realize on the first day of track how this day was going to define the rest of my life. This day I was on my way to finding my place in this crazy world and becoming comfortable with myself. I finally had found who I was. To most people track in high school is just a happy memory. I hear it all the time, "Oh I ran track back in high school" or "I ran track back in high school, I use to be pretty good at it. Those were the days". When people (teachers or relatives) would ask me what I wanted to be when I grew up I never really had an answer. I knew what to say, "Oh, I'm going to be a history teacher" or I want to learn about psychology b/c I'm thinking that would be interesting." They always loved my answer. I picked a college b/c I was able to run there. I didn't really care how much it cost or what type of education they were going to offer me. I only knew I was going to be able to run and that's all I cared about.
Some of the darkest times in my life involved me not running. And involves me not being able to share my love of running with others. I love running. But I also love being able to share running. For me, the shared experience makes it more enjoyable and fun.
But I'm getting off track (haha.....pun was totally not intended). The point is, I've been searching for what I want to be when I grow up. There's this part of me that feels I grew up and became a nurse and that's not enough for me. That's not what I want out of life. Being a nurse doesn't fulfill me in the same way that running does. I'm not sure if there is anything else out there that will ever provide me with the feelings I associate with running.
So this morning as I was dragging my sleep deprived body out of bed (I worked the late shift at work and then didn't sleep at all during the night) and getting ready to go run it occurred to me........I am a Runner. No matter what else I do with my life...........I am a Runner

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shamrock Week

Shamrock Week

The Finish Line

The Finish Line

Sharmock Marathon

Sharmock Marathon

Breakfast with Dai and Mike D

Breakfast with Dai and Mike D
Life is Good

Double Chocolate Banana ice cream

Double Chocolate Banana ice cream
YUM

RnR

RnR

Constantina Dita

Constantina Dita

Italian Mother

Italian Mother