About Me

My photo
I grew up in Franklin, Kentucky. I moved to Virginia Beach in 2003 and in 2004 I met the gang at Final Kick. Final Kick quickly became my home away from home. I ran my first marathon in 2005 (Shamrock Marathon). It was one of the most painful and amazing experiences of my life. I ran a 3:07 and I crossed the finish line with bloody heels (the right socks are so important). I couldn't wait to run another marathon and I choose The Richmond Marathon. I loved this race and it's still one of my favorites. Shamrock 2006 was my breakout race. I won it in a time of 2:45:40 and I was ecstatic. I also qualified for the trials with this race. Over the next couple of years I graduated from Nursing school and then eventually received my Master's in Exercise Science. In 2010 I raced the Chicago Marathon in a time of 2:45:26 and again qualified for the 2012 Olympic Trials. This was an amazing day for me. And I can't wait to race in Houston 2012
"Running to him was real, the way he did it the realest thing he knew. It was all joy and woe, hard as diamond; it made him weary beyond comprehension. But it also made him free." Once a Runner

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

To answer your questions

Lately I've been asked some questions about compression socks........do I use them, why do I use them, do I think they work.

To answer, Yes I do use compression socks. I use them in a couple of different situations. I use them when I travel, especially if I've raced and then I have to travel. The idea is....that blood can pool in your lower extremities which can cause a lot of stress on your veins which will lead to other problems....using compression socks will help keep the blood circulating and prevent the pooling. This will prevent edema and will help circulate fresh blood which will decrease fatigue. I also wear compression socks to work. I'm on my feet alot at work and this helps prevent edema and fatigue on my poor legs. ( I will want to prevent varicose veins). These socks basically promote recovery and I'm a believer. In the end, it can't hurt anyway. And heck yeah, they keep you warm.

Also, I've been asked if I lift weights. I'm a firm believer in lifting weights also. I prefer free weights b/c I feel I get a better workout and also I can do lots of different exercises instead of doing the same ones every time. If you use the machines.......those are fine but the muscles will get use to the same exercises and then basically that exercise no longer works as well. You have to change it up in order for the muscles to keep responding. It's kind of like getting in a rut and not seeing results anymore.
I believe the core muscles are so important. These muscles need to stay strong b/c once these muscles are tired you are going to lose form and will become inefficient. Once the core muscles are tired that's when I believe it's all over. So yes, I do work out 2-3 times a week, doing different exercises but always working the muscles. We are runners......we don't want to get big but we do want to be strong. Also, it's good for us ladies to keep our bones strong.

Hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shamrock Week

Shamrock Week

The Finish Line

The Finish Line

Sharmock Marathon

Sharmock Marathon

Breakfast with Dai and Mike D

Breakfast with Dai and Mike D
Life is Good

Double Chocolate Banana ice cream

Double Chocolate Banana ice cream
YUM

RnR

RnR

Constantina Dita

Constantina Dita

Italian Mother

Italian Mother