About Me

My photo
I grew up in Franklin, Kentucky. I moved to Virginia Beach in 2003 and in 2004 I met the gang at Final Kick. Final Kick quickly became my home away from home. I ran my first marathon in 2005 (Shamrock Marathon). It was one of the most painful and amazing experiences of my life. I ran a 3:07 and I crossed the finish line with bloody heels (the right socks are so important). I couldn't wait to run another marathon and I choose The Richmond Marathon. I loved this race and it's still one of my favorites. Shamrock 2006 was my breakout race. I won it in a time of 2:45:40 and I was ecstatic. I also qualified for the trials with this race. Over the next couple of years I graduated from Nursing school and then eventually received my Master's in Exercise Science. In 2010 I raced the Chicago Marathon in a time of 2:45:26 and again qualified for the 2012 Olympic Trials. This was an amazing day for me. And I can't wait to race in Houston 2012
"Running to him was real, the way he did it the realest thing he knew. It was all joy and woe, hard as diamond; it made him weary beyond comprehension. But it also made him free." Once a Runner

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Treadmill is your Friend

Last Thursday Andy was talking to a buddy of his about working out. He told him that all Renee needed to get a fully body workout was a stick and a chair. I've been working out for a while and he's almost correct. I can get a workout in without using any special equipment. One of my favorite sites to get motivation and workouts is Nike Women on facebook. They totally rock.
So the headline reads the treadmill is your friend. I really want people to think about this during the cold weather and when it's just miserable outside. You can use the treadmill to get a small run in for the day. It's a mindset. You can do it. The treadmill can be used to get in an awesome workout and you can walk away feeling like you did your body good and you mentally overcame the treadmill. I do all different sort of workouts on the treadmill!
This morning my workout included 1.5 mile intervals at a 7min pace (I have track tonight so I didn't push it
Then I did 3 sets of planks (these aren't your usual planks but involve alternating raising R arm and L leg with L arm and R leg) alternating with bicycle crunches.
Along with 2 sets of Walk Out Pushups to a Swivel
And some intense lower ab leg raises on the bench.
And tricep dips
The point is I keep my heart rate up the entire time
I immediately got back on the treadmill for another 1.5 mile interval.
I kept this up until I was finished with my 5 miles.
Also during this workout I incorporated dumbbells for bicep curls and side crunches

When I was finished running I completed any exercise that I had left to finish and added anything that I still wanted to make sure I did for the day. For example, I didn't do my 1 legged squats until after I was finished running.

Then I stretched. And headed home. This morning I was able to get in a good run on the treadmill and I worked out my major muscle groups.
Besides knowing my abs are going to hurt tomorrow (b/c they are already sore) I feel great.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shamrock Week

Shamrock Week

The Finish Line

The Finish Line

Sharmock Marathon

Sharmock Marathon

Breakfast with Dai and Mike D

Breakfast with Dai and Mike D
Life is Good

Double Chocolate Banana ice cream

Double Chocolate Banana ice cream
YUM

RnR

RnR

Constantina Dita

Constantina Dita

Italian Mother

Italian Mother