About Me

My photo
I grew up in Franklin, Kentucky. I moved to Virginia Beach in 2003 and in 2004 I met the gang at Final Kick. Final Kick quickly became my home away from home. I ran my first marathon in 2005 (Shamrock Marathon). It was one of the most painful and amazing experiences of my life. I ran a 3:07 and I crossed the finish line with bloody heels (the right socks are so important). I couldn't wait to run another marathon and I choose The Richmond Marathon. I loved this race and it's still one of my favorites. Shamrock 2006 was my breakout race. I won it in a time of 2:45:40 and I was ecstatic. I also qualified for the trials with this race. Over the next couple of years I graduated from Nursing school and then eventually received my Master's in Exercise Science. In 2010 I raced the Chicago Marathon in a time of 2:45:26 and again qualified for the 2012 Olympic Trials. This was an amazing day for me. And I can't wait to race in Houston 2012
"Running to him was real, the way he did it the realest thing he knew. It was all joy and woe, hard as diamond; it made him weary beyond comprehension. But it also made him free." Once a Runner

Monday, February 21, 2011

Don't mess with Austin!

First of all let me begin by saying that Austin TX is a beautiful fun city that makes you want to get out and run/bike. People seem very young and active in Austin.
Let me also say that these people are crazy b/c the hills in Austin are no joke. I'm both envious that they get to train there and also glad that I don't have to try and run there to recover from yesterday's run.
Race morning was beautiful. The air was crisp and the sky was very pretty. It was still a little dark when the race began at 0700. The second turn of the race lead us into 6 miles of hills and head wind. There was just no relief from the wind until after mile 6 and the only time you weren't going up a hill is when you were going down one. It was a constant up and down, up and down.
First and Second place female had a cyclist beside her. I was very grateful for mine b/c it help me stay focus and in the game. Also, he knew that by the end the hills were really getting to me so he tried to encourage me and let me know what was ahead of me. Thank goodness. The worst of the hills ended up being at mile 11.7. It was a killer. I don't see how cars get up that hill. It would be horrible if that's where your car broke down b/c the only place it can go is down. This is also where I learned that Lance was fast on my heels. I did not want to get past my Lance Armstrong. How humiliating would it be to get past my one of the world's most amazing athletes and 7 time Tour de France winner?! (totally kidding, I's bow to him in a heartbeat).
The post race was nothing to brag about though. The best thing was the company and the Jamba Juice (we really need one of these in Va Beach)
And then it was off to the airport. The flights went well and I'm very glad to be home. I kind of miss Austin already and I wish I'd had more time to hang out. I'd also love to train on those hills. But as always, I'm glad to be back at the Beach!

6 comments:

  1. Great Job! I clocked a 1:29.29. And that took a degree of energy. The hills were mad crazy. It seems they saved the two biggest ones for miles 10 - 12. Great run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome second place finish Renee and only seconds out of first.......even with all those hills (that just sounded brutal). Amazing job. Glad all the flights went well - that could have tainted the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ecarson, I'm so glad you made it. My first goal was to win the race. Near the end I think I realized I just wouldn't be able to catch here. After that I just needed to stay in front of lance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Renee

    Nice race !! glad I got to spend some time with you in Austin with Diamond Jim ..hope you make it up to annapolis 10 in august

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jason!!!! You read my blog. I'm so excited.

    ReplyDelete

Shamrock Week

Shamrock Week

The Finish Line

The Finish Line

Sharmock Marathon

Sharmock Marathon

Breakfast with Dai and Mike D

Breakfast with Dai and Mike D
Life is Good

Double Chocolate Banana ice cream

Double Chocolate Banana ice cream
YUM

RnR

RnR

Constantina Dita

Constantina Dita

Italian Mother

Italian Mother