About Me

My photo
I grew up in Franklin, Kentucky. I moved to Virginia Beach in 2003 and in 2004 I met the gang at Final Kick. Final Kick quickly became my home away from home. I ran my first marathon in 2005 (Shamrock Marathon). It was one of the most painful and amazing experiences of my life. I ran a 3:07 and I crossed the finish line with bloody heels (the right socks are so important). I couldn't wait to run another marathon and I choose The Richmond Marathon. I loved this race and it's still one of my favorites. Shamrock 2006 was my breakout race. I won it in a time of 2:45:40 and I was ecstatic. I also qualified for the trials with this race. Over the next couple of years I graduated from Nursing school and then eventually received my Master's in Exercise Science. In 2010 I raced the Chicago Marathon in a time of 2:45:26 and again qualified for the 2012 Olympic Trials. This was an amazing day for me. And I can't wait to race in Houston 2012
"Running to him was real, the way he did it the realest thing he knew. It was all joy and woe, hard as diamond; it made him weary beyond comprehension. But it also made him free." Once a Runner

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Track workout

Tuesday night is almost always a track session for me. And no matter what I always find myself grateful that I have the ability to choose to run around in a circle no matter how hot or cold it is (because it seems that hot and cold are the only 2 temperatures we have in at the Beach) and last night was no different. But last night was a struggle for me. It was a hard workout for me mentally b/c the legs (and the hip) were tired and hurting. It takes a while to fully recover from a 20 mile run (on Saturday) and my body was still feeling the ouch. My mile was fine. I hit the time that coach wanted 5:23, It seemed that I struggled with the speed stuff (ugh). The first 400 was tough. I hit it in 75 seconds instead of 70 and who knows why. It could have been the legs or just that I had no one behind me pushing me. The second one I recovered with a 68 (much better but didn't make up for the blistering 75). The 200's have never been my favorite which is why I think Coach loves them so very much. He usually does us a favor by not timing them.........well that wasn't the plan last night. Not only was he time but he was critiquing as well.
The workout was just tough. But as coach says, "It's a workout not a race. You just have to get through it." And I did.
The whole point is....it doesn't matter how much we love our sport, sometimes it just tough and we have to get through it. Sometimes there is a part of us that doesn't want to be there and we have to get through it. This is what separates a runner or a swimmer (or pick your sport) from just the weekend warrior or the fair weather athlete. You are out there training.......even when you kinda of don't want to be. And of course having your coach there also helps :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shamrock Week

Shamrock Week

The Finish Line

The Finish Line

Sharmock Marathon

Sharmock Marathon

Breakfast with Dai and Mike D

Breakfast with Dai and Mike D
Life is Good

Double Chocolate Banana ice cream

Double Chocolate Banana ice cream
YUM

RnR

RnR

Constantina Dita

Constantina Dita

Italian Mother

Italian Mother