About Me

My photo
I grew up in Franklin, Kentucky. I moved to Virginia Beach in 2003 and in 2004 I met the gang at Final Kick. Final Kick quickly became my home away from home. I ran my first marathon in 2005 (Shamrock Marathon). It was one of the most painful and amazing experiences of my life. I ran a 3:07 and I crossed the finish line with bloody heels (the right socks are so important). I couldn't wait to run another marathon and I choose The Richmond Marathon. I loved this race and it's still one of my favorites. Shamrock 2006 was my breakout race. I won it in a time of 2:45:40 and I was ecstatic. I also qualified for the trials with this race. Over the next couple of years I graduated from Nursing school and then eventually received my Master's in Exercise Science. In 2010 I raced the Chicago Marathon in a time of 2:45:26 and again qualified for the 2012 Olympic Trials. This was an amazing day for me. And I can't wait to race in Houston 2012
"Running to him was real, the way he did it the realest thing he knew. It was all joy and woe, hard as diamond; it made him weary beyond comprehension. But it also made him free." Once a Runner

Thursday, February 3, 2011

The importance of massage

It is well known that running can cause muscle soreness, muscle damage, and reduced muscle function. From the newest beginner to the most experienced of runners, virtually all runners frequently experience the muscle pain associated with running.
A massage is a very important component of training, which can be used to promote recovery and enhance performance.

When training at a high level it is hard for the body to recover sufficiently, which can cause a decrease performance as well as injuries. Without proper recovery, an athlete may never reach their fullest potential. There are a lot of athletes who do not give their bodies enough rest between exercise bouts, and in the long run end up cheating themselves, or worse injured. Recovery is just as important to a strength and conditioning program as the program design itself, and should always be included. Massage techniques can promote blood flow and stimulation to muscles, which will bring in more nutrients to the muscles. In fact, a massage can be just as restoring or more to your muscles as a mid day nap.

Point to take home
Find a good place to get regular massages. You will find these beneficial and your body will thank you.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you. A massage is very helpful for an athlete. I get a massage two days before and after I join a marathon. It helps my body to relax before the event and to recover afterwards. I think everyone deserves to have a massage once in a while to promote a healthier lifestyle. Thanks for sharing this. :)

    Gregg Mulherin

    ReplyDelete

Shamrock Week

Shamrock Week

The Finish Line

The Finish Line

Sharmock Marathon

Sharmock Marathon

Breakfast with Dai and Mike D

Breakfast with Dai and Mike D
Life is Good

Double Chocolate Banana ice cream

Double Chocolate Banana ice cream
YUM

RnR

RnR

Constantina Dita

Constantina Dita

Italian Mother

Italian Mother