About Me

My photo
I grew up in Franklin, Kentucky. I moved to Virginia Beach in 2003 and in 2004 I met the gang at Final Kick. Final Kick quickly became my home away from home. I ran my first marathon in 2005 (Shamrock Marathon). It was one of the most painful and amazing experiences of my life. I ran a 3:07 and I crossed the finish line with bloody heels (the right socks are so important). I couldn't wait to run another marathon and I choose The Richmond Marathon. I loved this race and it's still one of my favorites. Shamrock 2006 was my breakout race. I won it in a time of 2:45:40 and I was ecstatic. I also qualified for the trials with this race. Over the next couple of years I graduated from Nursing school and then eventually received my Master's in Exercise Science. In 2010 I raced the Chicago Marathon in a time of 2:45:26 and again qualified for the 2012 Olympic Trials. This was an amazing day for me. And I can't wait to race in Houston 2012
"Running to him was real, the way he did it the realest thing he knew. It was all joy and woe, hard as diamond; it made him weary beyond comprehension. But it also made him free." Once a Runner

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Mentally Tough

Last night someone said to me "How do you keep going after it gets tough? How do you not give up? I have trouble with the negative thoughts in my head." I thought this was a wonderful question. There have been many times when I've had to deal with negative thoughts
1. When the pace becomes difficult.
2. When the fatigue is beginning to set into my legs.
3. When I have a girl beside me who is pushing the pace and I'm wondering if I can keep going.
These thoughts enter my mind during training runs and in races. These thoughts are normal. I don't know anyone who hasn't dealt with negative thoughts in their head. I can remember having them back in high school. I can remember a high school race (I believe it was the state cross-country championship race) where I was 5th and we were coming up on mile 1 and thinking I'm already hurting...I'm in 5th place....I really want to stop........maybe I should fake an injury. These thoughts actually crossed my mind!! Now I didn't fake an injury and I kept going. I finished 6th overall (damnit) and it was a great race in the end. The point is....we have to face these negative thoughts. You have to change your mindset. Focus on something else.
When I have these negative thoughts I refocus on my race and I push through it. I think one of my strengths is my mental capabilities. Mentally I'm strong. I refocus on my body, on my pace, doing what I know I can do and pushing my body. That's what I tell people. Once you are concerned on what other people are doing or you are thinking about how much further it is until the end you have lost focus on the race (or training run). Also, you can think about the entire run or workout b/c that can be overwhelming. When I go out for a 20 mile run I'm not thinking I have 20 miles to run. Instead I break it up...I think about the first 5 miles or maybe I think about getting to the visitors center, 64th street, 1st street-great now I'm heading back home to 64th street-and now it's only 5 miles back (this only works if you live in Va Beach and you know what I'm talking about). The point is you have to find mental strength and that takes practice. Practice mental strength on your workouts. Track, tempo runs, and your long runs are great for this type of training.
Jerry Frostick (owner of J & A Racing-director of Shamrock Marathon) told me that he believes running ,especially marathons, are 90% mental. I believe he is correct. Once you lose focus, and if you don't regain it quickly, the race is already over and you have lost.
So practice being mentally tough. I know you can do it.

1 comment:

  1. I am a new reader to your blog. I added it to my blog roll. You offer so much insight and great thoughts on your training. Thanks. Keep up the great training and writing. Austin is supposed to be a great race. I party and train there a great deal. You will love it. Best.

    ReplyDelete

Shamrock Week

Shamrock Week

The Finish Line

The Finish Line

Sharmock Marathon

Sharmock Marathon

Breakfast with Dai and Mike D

Breakfast with Dai and Mike D
Life is Good

Double Chocolate Banana ice cream

Double Chocolate Banana ice cream
YUM

RnR

RnR

Constantina Dita

Constantina Dita

Italian Mother

Italian Mother