About Me

My photo
I grew up in Franklin, Kentucky. I moved to Virginia Beach in 2003 and in 2004 I met the gang at Final Kick. Final Kick quickly became my home away from home. I ran my first marathon in 2005 (Shamrock Marathon). It was one of the most painful and amazing experiences of my life. I ran a 3:07 and I crossed the finish line with bloody heels (the right socks are so important). I couldn't wait to run another marathon and I choose The Richmond Marathon. I loved this race and it's still one of my favorites. Shamrock 2006 was my breakout race. I won it in a time of 2:45:40 and I was ecstatic. I also qualified for the trials with this race. Over the next couple of years I graduated from Nursing school and then eventually received my Master's in Exercise Science. In 2010 I raced the Chicago Marathon in a time of 2:45:26 and again qualified for the 2012 Olympic Trials. This was an amazing day for me. And I can't wait to race in Houston 2012
"Running to him was real, the way he did it the realest thing he knew. It was all joy and woe, hard as diamond; it made him weary beyond comprehension. But it also made him free." Once a Runner

Saturday, February 12, 2011

VA is for Lovers 14K

What can I say? J&A Racing pulled off another great event. I was impressed from the moment I arrived. The very first thing I noticed was how smooth parking went. You knew exactly what to do and everything was fast and efficient. The race started right on time and the course was well marked. The ice was not my friend (and Steve Speirs chose those moments to make his move) but at least it was well marked! It was awesome seeing Dai Roberts on the course not once, not twice, but three times. Finishing in the SportPlex rocked. I don't know why it's so cool to finish inside but it is..........maybe b/c it makes you feel as if everyone can see you finish. The most amazing thing was how the awards started right on time. I hate when race awards take forever. While waiting for the awards we did get to listen to Rock Star Parking........I loved it when a girl who had just broken up with her BF b/c he cheated on her sang "I will survive". She had tons of energy and even though she didn't know all the words (she did way better than I would have) she made up for it all in enthusiasm. She was fun.

The race went really well. I felt great and the legs were strong. It was chilly in the morning.......I did warm up very quickly but I also got really cold the moment I stopped inside the sportplex. It was just another really great Saturday.
I'm not one of these runners who watches my Garmin the entire time. I basically use it to make sure I'm never going too fast. But everytime I looked at my Garmin I was pleased with the pace. I would love to give you a play by play of each mile but it all just goes by so quickly for me.
Basically what I can remember is that Steve left me between 3-4. There was a really cool dj guy right around mile 5. I wish I could have stopped at the Candy Corner but I didn't have the time. I almost caught Steve and Tom Purcell but I didn't. And my shoes got really muddy from running in the mud. LOL.
Thanks Steve for another awesome run. Thanks Dai for cheering me on. And it was great to see Pat Bowler at the race cheering for us. (He ran all the way to the SportPlex from his house (13 miles and then another 5 while watching up run)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shamrock Week

Shamrock Week

The Finish Line

The Finish Line

Sharmock Marathon

Sharmock Marathon

Breakfast with Dai and Mike D

Breakfast with Dai and Mike D
Life is Good

Double Chocolate Banana ice cream

Double Chocolate Banana ice cream
YUM

RnR

RnR

Constantina Dita

Constantina Dita

Italian Mother

Italian Mother