About Me

My photo
I grew up in Franklin, Kentucky. I moved to Virginia Beach in 2003 and in 2004 I met the gang at Final Kick. Final Kick quickly became my home away from home. I ran my first marathon in 2005 (Shamrock Marathon). It was one of the most painful and amazing experiences of my life. I ran a 3:07 and I crossed the finish line with bloody heels (the right socks are so important). I couldn't wait to run another marathon and I choose The Richmond Marathon. I loved this race and it's still one of my favorites. Shamrock 2006 was my breakout race. I won it in a time of 2:45:40 and I was ecstatic. I also qualified for the trials with this race. Over the next couple of years I graduated from Nursing school and then eventually received my Master's in Exercise Science. In 2010 I raced the Chicago Marathon in a time of 2:45:26 and again qualified for the 2012 Olympic Trials. This was an amazing day for me. And I can't wait to race in Houston 2012
"Running to him was real, the way he did it the realest thing he knew. It was all joy and woe, hard as diamond; it made him weary beyond comprehension. But it also made him free." Once a Runner

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Love to my new kicks and my awesome training partners

This morning I ran 7.61 miles with Mike D. (I'll write 7.5 in my training planner tho) and it was awesome. We had a really good run. The wind was perfect and the sun was out. We always meet at 34th street b/c that's where I live so we always have the pleasure of running on the boardwalk or in the park. We are very lucky. I ran in my new shoes (Brooks ST Racer-thank you very much Final Kick) b/c I'm making sure they are broke in before I race in them (VA is for Lovers 14K on Feb 12th) and b/c I'm thinking of training in shoes that are similar to these.
(btw, if you don't race or train in flats I strongly suggest you try it b/c they really change make you feel faster and they make your feet feel lighter which is awesome for race day)
Let me explain, for probably the past 5 years I have trained in the same shoe Saucony Omni (which is a great shoe and I love it) but it's made to be a stability shoe (moderate stability) and it has extra cushioning. This shoe has served me wonderfully but I'm wondering if maybe my foot strike has changed (since Bill Bernard took over my coaching b/c I know he has worked on changing my stride) and if I need a shoe with less stability now. This is all speculation. I still need to talk to Jim Golden (owner of Final Kick) and have him re-evaluate my foot strike. If you've never had a professional look at your feet to help you get the right shoe...you really should. Helps prevent injuries.

So this morning was an awesome training run. Mike and I had a great steady pace out to 64th street and down to the Narrows-on the way back we really picked up the pace and had a nice steady run. I really appreciate the importance of a good training partner. Having one always makes the workout more fun, passes the time, and usually makes you work harder and better. Great examples would be my girlfriend Sika and me lifting weights at the rec center and then Mike and me running this morning. Great and wonderful times. They really allow you to bond and to get to know and love your training partner/new best friend. I know I can trust Mike and Sika with anything and that they will always be there for me (and Mike doesn't complain about my bathroom breaks-lol).

After my run and stretching I did about 25 minutes of yoga. I love yoga b/c it's wonderful stretching and core work. I have to be careful with yoga b/c I can (and I've done it in the past) get injured with yoga. I have to remember I'm not a yogi and I will get hurt it I stretch too deeply. I love the deep breathing and the whole mind body connection. It's an amazing feeling. When you finish you feel limber, stretched and you do feel more connected to your own soul. If you haven't tried it.......I suggest you do. If you've tried it in the past and you didn't like it.......maybe it's time to grab a friend and go again.

Now I get some time to relax and catch up on my todo list. Tonight I have track with coach and I have a feeling it's gonna be tough and intense. The number and intensity of the mile repeats are increasing and I think we are going to be doing 2x1.5 mile repeats very soon. Ouch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shamrock Week

Shamrock Week

The Finish Line

The Finish Line

Sharmock Marathon

Sharmock Marathon

Breakfast with Dai and Mike D

Breakfast with Dai and Mike D
Life is Good

Double Chocolate Banana ice cream

Double Chocolate Banana ice cream
YUM

RnR

RnR

Constantina Dita

Constantina Dita

Italian Mother

Italian Mother